Thursday, February 17, 2011

This Muddy Life

Given a preference, I'd rather keep the ocean the other side of Highway 1, and out of my basement. Today was one of those evil stormy days when there's water everywhere, including many places where it wasn't invited. The garage entrance was like the shallow end in a kids swimming pool, and after sweeping the water out of the basement I had to dig my own makeshift muddy French drain in the pouring rain to encourage the deluge to escape down the side of the house instead of taking refuge inside it.

Much of the water encircling the house, and draining from the roof via the downspouts, ended up in the 8' x 5' x 3' dissipation pit, but that was itself almost full by early afternoon so I'm not sure what I'll see when I get to the house in the morning. I'm willing to bet that whatever it is, it will be wet and muddy.

2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

We have a friend visiting from San Francisco who has been getting weather dispatches from home. It sounds like a giant mess out there right now. Hopefully you'll get some sunshine to dry things up and get the last few things done and moved in! We're almost as anxious as you to see it all finished :-)

Master Steve said...

Thanks, Jeffrey. Weather turned from great to terrible just before I got my water trench dug, so I'm now delayed pending a break from the rain. Flooring goes in on Monday and then the inside is almost finished. Can't wait...