Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's Not Raining - It's Pouring

 

The first of the cement mixing trucks came up the hill at 8.30am this morning, and Hector the Framer began pouring the concrete into twenty two of the piers, and five of the grade beams. Each truck held 8 cubic yards of concrete, and although the contractor estimated that we'd need five trucks, or 40 yards, we ended up using forty eight yards of concrete.


This is just the first pour. We'll need another one in a week or two, after the guys build plywood forms for the foundation walls. The second pour will also include the eight piers for the long lower retaining wall, and the grade beams for the garage retaining wall and the ramp to the front door.


Since I'm a neat freak I would have liked the grade beams to be poured into trenches that also used forms, as it would have been more aesthetically pleasing. OK, I'm kidding. No, I'm not. Yes, I am. Really!

OK, before I go, I just want you to know that these are, as U2 so eloquently put it, the hands that built America.

No comments: