Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Moving along, slowly

Now that Thanksgiving is out of the way, it's time to get everything moving along. The soils report is underway, with borings being taken right now, and today I signed a contract and mailed a deposit check for the site survey, which should happen on Friday.

The soils report, which is being done by Michelucci and Associates, will cost $4000.00.
The site survey, which is being done by American Land Surveying, will cost $3400.00.

And I have to say, I am very happy with those quotes, as I thought both surveys would be considerably more expensive.

Meanwhile, I'm still investigating windows. I got a quote from Bonelli's, who make high end windows here in San Francisco, for $34,595.00. That's... how can I put it?... a lot of fricking money. Nevertheless, I'm going to take a look at their products on Friday morning. They also quoted me $17,938.00 for the four sliding patio doors at the back of the building, and around $5250.00 each for oversize sliding patio doors that are 9' high - the height of the building.

I'm thinking that perhaps I could use these 9' Bonelli windows for the entire back of the house, without transoms. Matthew and Allison did this to their house in the Hudson Valley in New York State. I could then use cheaper windows - perhaps Milgards - for the rest of the house. Just a thought...



Still wondering what it takes to get a quote for the roof. In this crappy economy, why is it so hard to get anyone to return your calls, or follow through with a quote? Bewildering...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One does not get into roofing, or any trade for that matter, because they are a real go getter. I should know I am in the trades.