Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Creepy crawly

Moving along, very slowly, like a creepy crawly. Still getting quotes for the foundations, and at last I may actually have a couple of options. I think in the end I'll have to choose between cast in place from one contractor, CMU above the basement slab from another, and sprayed shotcrete from a third. Hard to figure out what to do, especially without a GC to help.

I'm working on that, though, and would like to have a GC in place within the next week or so.

Also still assembling the amended plans for resubmission to the city. I wanted to resubmit this week, but t doesn't look like I'll get everything together in time, so perhaps next Tuesday?

And while everything else is constantly shifting forward in time, the same can be said for closing escrow, which was due to happen tomorrow, but is now awaiting a legal document from the seller, who lives in Colorado and is quite technologically challenged - no cell phone, no fax machine. Whaaa? It's 2009!!!

So everything is manana, manana, manana. Trying not to get frustrated, just keep moving the ball down field the hard way, a few yards at time, without turning it over! Every now and then it would be nice to just air one out towards the end zone, if you know what I mean. And I think you do.

While all this is going on, I managed to get a great Craigslist deal on a couple of new Panasonic bathroom fans ($100.00 for the pair!), and I'm also spending many hours at the lot cutting down branches and shrubs, pulling up roots, and generally clearing the site. I can't believe how gorgeous it is almost every time I go down there! Roll on the day this is all finished and I can move to my new neighborhood!

2 comments:

karlusmagnus said...

Steve, love your blog. Living the precarious dream you are, with the LV house. I love these houses, and if I manage to swing affordable land within commutable distance of NY, i hope to win over my wife and go for it. Not in 2009, but perhaps in 2010. Have to sell existing house in this climate, which is tough. Best of luck with the build and the financing and everything else. I got a lot of good info on mortgages etc from "the mortgage professor" a wharton guru who actually responds to mails. Anyway i was commiserating with a colleague at work today who is pissed that we finished ahead of the hammers on goal difference. I said its the fact that we have so many ex-hammers who play for us. From an irish spurs fan in NY, all the best, Karl

Unknown said...

Karl, thanks for the kind words, especially coming from a Spurs fan! Hope you manage to get your land and funding as well! Cheers, Steve